As we know, I am in a writing group and committed to do research and ideally, writing daily. I always have a few minutes for this, no matter what, but I want to spend more time than that. I need to, if I am to get anything truly significant accomplished. I also deserve to because I have a contractual obligation to do so, which it is the University’s obligation to me to allow for as well as mine to them to fulfill.
In mid 2011 I committed to a major service/administrative assignment for two years. Now, the administration is offering course release so they can step up work on this for Spring 2013, but the department is not sure they can come across to me on that. Here is my list of spring activities. What should I cut out (something is going to have to go)?
- Teach Spanish 4 (what I want to cut out, I am totally replaceable here)
- Teach junior level introduction to culture I have never taught here (I prefer to keep this: for the sake of our programs and for inspiration)
- Teach senior/graduate level literature course, out of field (I prefer to keep this: for the sake of our programs and for my own education)
- Prepare three summer courses, sophomore, junior, and senior/graduate level, never given before, to teach starting the day after graduation (This may be cancelled by a fuerza mayor, but I do not want to cancel it by my own hand; for the sake of our programs and because I will receive $3,500 plus fringe and expenses for teaching these courses and I need the money)
- This major service/administrative assignment (I could resign, but I would really rather not and if I do not get the course release will probably just do a poor job here)
- Regular service (not a problem, so long as I do not get involved in funding or hosting of outside speakers I will not have excessive regular service)
- Research (This is what I want to step UP, but it is what I fear will have to fall by the wayside if something does not give)
Some in my department are very uncomfortable with the idea of course release and especially for Spanish 4. If that cannot be chosen as the element to cut out here, what would you cut?