The list does keep changing slightly but the number keeps being four.
1. The present book, on race.
2. Cane Cultures.
3. Vallejo — intellectual and cultural biography.
4. Vallejo — fractured subjectivity.
When I think about these in a practical sense there are more, since every essay in the present book leads to other projects. The first two listed here are on the Brazilian and Caribbean side, and the other two on Peru, obviously.
I could have all these done by now if I had been working steadily. The books I had planned were these:
1. Avant-garde, primitivism, ethnicity. Tenure book A
2. Vallejo — fractured subjectivity. Tenure book B
3. Gilberto Freyre and the dissemination of his ideas. Full professor book
4. A more ambitious book on race than I plan now. Book to get me a job in a place I would enjoy living
UPDATE: I like the original plan best. I am upping the ante on this book.