– direct method or versions of it: not rule then application, but example then explanation then expansion
– emphasis on conversation, being able to converse; spontanaeity
– emphasis on writing whole sentences
– not fixated enough on accent marks, spelling, small grammar issues: yes, they irritate me, but no, not seriously
– too intolerant of translation; expect students to use and remember a variety of structures, to learn to vary and build upon these, and compose…
These are things our students are incapable of doing and that it is inappropriate to ask them to do, it is said.