– Conferences with students. About 25 of them.
– Started unraveling a bureaucratic mystery.
– Received e-mail announcing the existence of a book which supports one of my theses. This was my research gesture for the day.
– Continued to be very far behind on grading and syllabus revision post hurricane.
No good deed goes unpunished!
Conclusion A: Be passive. Conclusion B: Be unaffected.
– I am against doing administration and service, but the results of nobody doing these things are also bad.
– Similarly, I accept that it is common wisdom that one should cut corners on teaching, but I think I should cut fewer corners, not more, and put more into it, not less.
– I am not saying to do these things as a way to avoid research. I am saying they need to be done right so that all things can be done sustainably.